Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Best Mother's Day Gift (for me)



Psalm 127:3

I tried and tried to think of gifts for Mother's Day for my mom, grandmothers, and Mother-in-law, and grandmothers-in-law this year. We live 1200 miles away from all of our family, so its not quite as easy to deliver gifts--especially when you are last minute shopper like myself.

I finally decided on having several pictures printed in 4x6 size (all of the ones they can see and share on FB) and put them in a little "brag book" they could carry in their purses and look at all of the time. Of course, they loved them! My husband asked me a million times what I wanted for Mother's Day and, as always, he came up empty handed for ideas because I don't want anything. I finally asked him for a day at the beach with the family and some friends. He doesn't like the whole beach experience as much as me and hasn't been with us in years. He is always the one that carries everything and cleans everything up when we get home. That's a big task...especially when there are 5 of us! 

Anyway, we did go to the beach and it was an awesome day! I woke up that morning to him asking me what I wanted for breakfast and how I liked my coffee. I told him I would make breakfast (because I wanted more protein than a bowl of Frosted Flakes contains...LOL). I honestly didn't mind at all! As I sat and had my coffee, I read on FaceBook where one of my friends was asking for prayers for a friend of hers family. They had lost her just the day before. I also saw other friends saying they had attended a funeral service for a young girl the previous week and that they were still praying for her brother who was still in critical condition. I remembered a friend of ours passing just a few weeks ago, only 10 days after giving birth to her 4th child. 

It all just made me so grateful to have this Mother's Day with my family!

I really try to take the advice of all of those older ladies who smile at them in the store saying, "Enjoy them while they're young, Honey!" I try! I really try! Sure, they exhaust me! Of course, they make me angry sometimes! But I LOVE the memories they are helping me make! I think back to my childhood and know that my mother and grandmothers were enjoying making memories with me too!

I guess what I am trying to say is, those pictures I sent to everyone--they are just helpful reminders of this year's memories that will make the ladies in my life smile each time they look at them. And that beach day I asked for--its just another memory filled day that I can look back on and smile at in the future. 


SO what is the greatest gift you can give a mother for Mother's Day, or any day of the year? SHe doesn't want flowers. She doesn't want perfume. OK maybe she wants a locket to show off pictures of you or a mother's ring so people will ask her about you. But the absolute best gift you can give her is a happy memory!....(and maybe, a picture or two to help her remember it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment