Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Home School Portfolio

This is only my first year to home school the kids. I have tried my best to keep up with everything we should do and everything we have done. I have to keep a portfolio of their work and activities for 2 years in order to be compliant with the school district. Each year, I also have to have a review done by a state certified teacher. I would like to share some pics of my portfolio as this was the most stressful thing for me. I had no idea what to put in it, what to leave out, or how much to show. There wasn't a lot of information online that I found very helpful, but I have a great network of homeschooling friends that helped me out tremendously with this!

My kids are in 4th and 5th grade so I did everything the same with them except math and their free reading time. They did use the same source for math and reading comprehension at different grade levels. IXL.com for math and k12reader.com for reading comprehension. What I didn't take pictures of were the US Presidents and US Geography notebooks I had them keep. Each page of the notebook was a different president or different state with the important information about each one listed and even a few hand drawn pictures.

So, here are the pictures:
A list of volunteer work




Field Trips

Reading List

One of the math samples

A few souvenirs from our field trips

A collage of pictures from our different activities

Extra-curricular Activities

A list of educational sources we used
I gave several examples of math, science, reading comprehension, journal entries (writing), and language arts in the portfolio. Nobody has time to look through every single thing we have done all year, so just samples to show we have made progress in learning in all they need to see. I hope by posting this I help somebody else out there. We have done more in these last few months, than I have ever done in my life! This has been the best experience ever and I am SOOOO happy I made the decision to bring them home! Please, feel free to ask questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment